Thursday, March 31, 2011

Final Project

Title: A Freedom Complete

Description: Interactive Display


For my final Time-Based media project I decided to design an interactive display piece for homicide victims from gun violence in Boston for the year 2010. In 2010 Boston has experienced a spike in gun violence and homicides. In that year alone 74 people were killed in cold blood. The youngest victim was 2 year-old Amani Smith who along with his mother was
one of the people killed in the Mattapan Quadruple murder.

Inspiration: My personal inspiration comes from being affected by gun violence as a young teenager growing up in poverty stricken Roxbury. In 1990 my older sister was one of four people shot during a dispute between her boyfriend and some neighborhood kids. A pellet from a shotgun bullet struck her in the eye and stopped a few centimeters from her brain. She survived her injury and her eye has healed 100%. Until this day I’m grateful that she survived this horrible experience. 21 years later gun violence still affects inner cities throughout the nation. Why hasn’t anything changed is beyond me.

As an artist I always want to give back to the community. When I have more time my goal is to work with at-risk kids teaching them the tools to become successful adults through art and design. I hope to inspire youth and young adults to make change in their lives and neighborhoods. When a community can come together to fight the problems effecting their neighborhood improvements can be made. We have to save ourselves because the government and politicians can’t do it for us!

Media: Flash I chose Flash because I wanted to make my design interactive with moving images and changing text but also give it a magazine article feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment