Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Reaction for Stan Vanderbeek's art exhibition.

 If you have watched The Ring by Gore Verbinski., you could have remembered the storyline about people died by watching a scary video tape.  By watching Vanderbeek's films make me feel like I am watching what in that tape in The Ring movie.  I don't mean that I feel like I would die within 7 days.  But if you remember the story of The Ring, you would know that what in that tape is the memory of the girl in the movie.

To visit an exhibition like this or to watch or to sense this kind of art form which is pretty extremely hard to understand, I think I need to be open that I don't have to understand, I just need to get to know them or just perceive them.  It is like to get to know what one person or one artist think.  To know what his mind looks like.

So he wrote his mind and his ideas into a movie like the girl in The Ring wrote her memory into the tape.  They are both black and white, full of noise, and not continuous. 

Also, the very first feeling I got when I entered the Poemfield part was like watching Tron.  Not the latest one but 1982 version.  Digital computer noisy sound, dark atmosphere, oppressed and uncomfortable feeling  is like when you get struck in something small and don't know where to go.

Further, what show on the screens look like the third generation video game or 8 bit era, such as a Famicom.

No comments:

Post a Comment