Sunday, February 20, 2011

Exhibit

I am not too fond of abstract to say the least. But it was still an interesting exhibit. It reminded me of something from the movie The Game. There were a couple items that I did like, however. One of the drawings that I liked was the apple on the table, it was one of the smaller drawings at the beginning of the gallery. I liked the saying on it, which I am trying to remember, um..."You have everything to fear." Which kind of made me think that he was pessimistic, but then I started to think that it reminded me of the you have nothing to fear but fear itself speech from Roosevelt, and it seemed like he was just going extreme opposite. The image that accompanied it was interesting, it was an over size apple on a small table, overwhelming was the apple on the table, kind of brought home his message of fear every thing. The next part of the exhibit I enjoyed was the area where he had some pictures that were created as miniature collages. I had two favorite ones from there one was the naked lady, she was laying flat, and a little body builder man was on top of her. I liked the meaning of it, well this is what I thought, of men conquering the woman's body. Also, the images with the women as part of the cars, made me think of how people refer to their cars as a women, and I thought he was playing on that part, by having the car literally made from part of a woman. The last part I liked was the one of the little montage movies he made, in the other room, not the large ones, but the one that was on the little TV. I enjoyed the part, where it was a montage of guns and violence and you could hear Martin Luther King Jr's speech "We are free at last." It was hilarious, because there was some truth to it. Guns and violence was the way we became free and it is usually how people become free, Revolutionary or Civil wars, or like such events as Cairo...which makes his little montage, relevant even now, which makes it timeless...

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. My mother really liked the apple/fear piece, too.

    I hadn't picked up on the female car concept. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete