Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Stan VanDerBeek's Visual Arts

I went to the Stan VanDerBeek exhibition last Friday, and was amazed by the works he had done. He's not only an engineer but also an artist in Visual Art. Some concepts are really refreshing, for example, he uses the swimming pool and steam to produce a 3D projection on the wall, I spent like half an hour on reading his notes and drafts and got the basic idea. Now I really hope I can have a chance to view the 3D motion graphics, especially when I swim, though I am still confused with it a little bit.

Yup, I love the surrounded, overlapped montage, or whatever it is called. It's compelling when so many frames appearing in front of your eyes simultaneously, especially they have connections somehow. Sometimes I even felt there was fewer frames on one screen, I knew that was illusion though. Really smart idea! I was amazed how he arranges the clips and frames. Woo... What a genius!

About the posters or images, I also like the nude woman one. But I really want to talk one of his drafts in the other exhibition room. It's a draft or something, looks like a drawing or a sketching on a paper. He used simple horizontal straight lines, with vary little turns or bents in each, to create a embossed and 3D appearance man on a flat paper. Remember, that was created decades ago, and far before computer graphics were invented.

No comments:

Post a Comment